[Ciao]

"È la gaia pioggerella a far crescer l'erba bella."
Translation: "It's the merry drizzle that makes grass grow fine."

26.1.10

Things I Love About Italy [a series]: il caffè

I love coffee. Anyone who knows me well knows this fact. (Ask Ian and my mom: I require at least one cup of coffee in the morning before I can even communicate coherently.) After my first trip to Italy in 2005, Ian and I switched from basic brewed coffee to an espresso machine. The coffee, or espresso, served here in Italy really is THAT good!

Any culture that considers coffee a religion is a culture that holds a special place in my heart. Italians seems to drink coffee all day. It's absolutely a requirement with breakfast, or a stand in for breakfast. In the afternoon, flocks of Italians show up at local bars and stand at the counter to sip a quick caffè. The perfect afternoon pick-me-up! It also seems to pair well with both lunch and dinner. And I love that huge amounts of sugar are required to enjoy this piccolo beverage. Who needs a 24oz Starbucks mega-coffee when you can have one glorious shot of Italian espresso?! Creamy, caffeinated, and perfectly sweetened...eat your heart out Starbucks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you guys are enjoying evrything about the culture. We love you all so much. Ciao!

Amber said...

Thanks Maiki! We love you, too! We miss you.

Grandma R said...

Hi, first a big Happy Birthday to Ian, I do believe today is the big day. Celebrate Italian style. Amber, We have started drinking Hazelnut flavored coffee and we really like it. We don't make our coffee as strong as you do, if the coffee is too strong for us we tone it down with water or cream and that makes it taste better. Is the weather there like it is in Colorado? It has been a bit chilly lately. We are so excited for Brian,he had his first debut playing his guitar at a public place. Hope we can go hear him if he gets the oppotunity to do it again. We miss you both but it is nice to get your notes. We love reading them. Ian's soup and biscotta looks delicious. Amber, you are so fotunate he loves to cook and tries out different foods.
Love you, Grandpa and Grandma