[Ciao]

"È la gaia pioggerella a far crescer l'erba bella."
Translation: "It's the merry drizzle that makes grass grow fine."

19.1.10

A Beautiful Day in the Gardens

Yesterday (Monday) we trekked down, across the river to Oltrarno (which literally means: "across the Arno"). Our first stop in Oltrarno was Mama's Bakery for some good ol' fresh brewed American coffee and chocolate chip cookies. I was hankering for some food from back home, and Mama's seemed like the perfect place. Alas, American coffee is just as bad in Italy as it is back home. And I miss my mom's chocolate chip cookies, which are soft, flat little goodies over-flowing with chocolate chips. The chocolate chip cookies I had (only two) were puffed up, hard, and seriously lacking chocolate. I think I'll stick to Italian treats from now on, though we may revisit Mama's Bakery to try one of the delicious looking sandwiches or bagels.

After our failed coffee venture, we headed over to the Boboli Gardens, once owned and maintained by Italy's famous Medici family. The gardens are simply amazing! And it's winter, when everything's practically dead! I can't even imagine how plush and delightful the gardens look in spring or summer. It was a beautifully sunny day, warmer than usual, so we were able to thoroughly enjoy frolicking through the gardens for a few hours. We took many pictures and had a good time imagining all the happenings that took place in the gardens way back when. We even stumbled upon a porcelain exhibit featuring Betty Woodman, an American ceramic artist who, for years, taught at CU-Boulder. Her work is unique and very colorful. Ian thought his mom would get a kick out of it.


As we were leaving the gardens, Ian turned to me and jokingly said, "We came to the Boboli gardens expecting to find an assortment of pre-made pizza crust; instead, we just found plants and trees." We had a good laugh, especially since the gardens are far more than "just plants and trees." There were artists and art students sitting on steps and benches drawing the many fountains and statues. I can see why they come to Boboli Gardens to work. Creative energy thrives and the scenery provides a simply enchanting model for any artist. I could get lost in the gardens all day.

We left the gardens late in the afternoon and hiked up to Michelangelo's Piazza, known for a spectacular view of Florence. We had specifically waited for a clear day to come to this point so we could truly appreciate the view. And what a view it is! There is so much to see in the city. And this view is far more expansive than the view from the bell tower, which rises up from the heart of the city. As the rolling hills gently rose behind the city, beckoning with the promise of a sweet, Chianti wine, I took a deep breath and just relaxed. The beautiful backdrop, my loving husband, and a perfect view of Firenze. The one thing we should have brought was a bottle of wine to share, and perhaps a lite snack of bread and cheese. Next time.


Yesterday was the first day that I really felt settled in Florence. I've been a bit homesick ever since we arrived, longing for the CO sunshine and my little kittens back home. But yesterday, I felt at peace, perhaps even at home. Maybe I could get used to this...

3 comments:

AMS said...

Hi guys! Glad to hear you had a beautiful day in Italy! The gardens sound amazing. I know how you feel about being homesick...I remember it took me a while to feel "at home" in Hawaii (and that was still in the US so I can't imagine what it is like in another country). But once I finally got settled and found my way around and realized all the beauty my new home had to offer I did not want to leave. Enjoy this adventure! Also, send me an email with your home address! I will mail you a package with some memories from the US...

Unknown said...

that looks amazing amber!! I will have some chianti for you when you get back since you didn't have some on hand! I miss you guys and I watched the video of your house and I LOVE your bathroom... outside yet inside?1 very unique... make something tasty in italy and you'll have to cook it for us when you get back!!

Amber said...

Amy - It is a little hard to adjust, anywhere! But, we're finally starting to settle in - surprisingly, running has helped me feel more at home (more on that in the next post!). :) I will try to figure out what our address is, exactly, and whether or not we can receive mail! Thanks for your encouraging words!

Chel - Thanks friend! We will for sure have to get together for an Italian feast when we get back. Keep Good Friday open - we should be home by then and I would love to see you. I miss you! I hope you're not working too hard. :)