[Ciao]

"È la gaia pioggerella a far crescer l'erba bella."
Translation: "It's the merry drizzle that makes grass grow fine."

7.1.10

Last Day in Roma: Arrivederci!

Today, Ian told me I have a size 50 foot. I checked: it's only a 44. Metric sizes, of course! We have done so much walking the past few days that my feet are dying for a new pair of shoes. That sounds like a great excuse to buy Italian leather boots if I do say so myself! We decided not to buy Metro or bus passes, so we have walked all over the city to see all the different monuments, basillicas, ruins, piazzas, etc. At least the sun has been out the past two days and the rain has taken a break. Rome is so beautiful in the sun. The city feels alive. The stores open their doors and people are out and about strolling the streets and drinking un caffe or una birra in the piazza cafes. While Rome is still a bustling city in the rain, it losses its mystique when we're trapped under an umbrella.



We have seen so much of the city this week. Tuesday, while the rain steadily poured down, we made our way to the Spanish Steps and the fabulous shopping district nearby. The Piazza di Spagna is one of my favorite areas in Italy. It's a wonderful place to people watch. Even the tourists seems to be dressed in their finest. I forgot how trendy and fashionable Italy is. All, and I'm serious, all of the women wear knee-high leather riding boots with skinny jeans tucked in and a stylish black coat complete with over sized leather purse. I stand out like a sore thumb (or a tourist) in my purple pea coat. At least I brought my brown riding boots so I kind of fit in. :)


While in the Piazza di Spagna, we visited the Keats-Shelley Memorial Museum (yes, I am an English nerd at heart). The museum is in the former house of John Keats, where he lived and died. It is home of many great works and original documents by Keats, Shelley, and Byron. A peculiar English woman ran the museum. I found it fascinating. Ian practiced taking artistic pictures. After a short nap, we stumbled upon a ristoranti where many locals were eating: Luzzi. The wood-fired pizza was excellent, and the entire meal (two pizzas, one mineral water, and vino della casa) was €15 - the best bargain yet!


Wednesday morning, we walked to Castle St. Angelo and meandered through the museum inside. It was fun to imagine what secrets the castle walls may hold and what may have taken place within its walls. And the vista (view) of Roma from the top of the castle is breathtaking! We spent Wednesday afternoon in Trestevere after an excruciatingly long walk to lunch. I am trying to adjust to the Italian food schedule, but I'm having a hard time waiting until 1:30/2:00pm for lunch and 8/9:00pm for dinner. This girl needs food regularly. Just ask Ian; he's the one who has to put up with me when I haven't eaten for five hours after walking non-stop all morning. I'm not a happy camper. But, I shouldn't complain. We're in Roma!


Today was our last day in Rome. We've had a good time, but I can't say I'm not ready to travel to Florence. I wonder if the city will be as busy as Rome? As I get older, I realize that I am not really the city girl I always thought I was. I love to visit big cities, but the constant hustle and bustle overwhelms me. Especially in touristy areas like Rome. I love to wander down the quiet, abandoned streets and take in the city in peace. The loud areas of the city (the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Vatican, etc.) make me feel lost and overcome. In big cities, I often crave the stillness and serenity of a calm rural meadow. Hopefully, I can retreat into the fields of Tuscany for a few days.

Ciao Roma!

amber



I suppose there is nothing left to say of Rome. The people are so so, the food the same. It is hard to tell what lies ahead. Firenze, alas, will grant us the comfort of homemade food. If it weren't for the sandwiches we ate today (and the two fresh picked dates and banana I had after), I feel as if we have become food snobs. Food makes me so happy - you could ask Amber how my attitude changed after lunch today. Amber mentioned the fashion here. Her comments may be understated. I think yesterday I saw a man buying bread whose sweat pants were nicer than my complete attire. With regards to the sights, I must say I'm less impressed as the days go by. I think my imagination and wonder was pushed to capacity on day one. If not for people watching and a constant force of translation, I'm not sure there would be anything to keep me here in Rome. I have never been to a place with more tourists. I wonder if they feel the same way. We've seen a freshly run over pigeon, the bi-political protest, and the drunk girl vomiting on her boyfriends shoes. We're ready for the tomatoes that make you feel as if you've never seen a tomato before. We're ready to give time to the community and put tourism on a hold. Rather, we are dying for a sense of belonging. To the achy feet. To the rude locals. To the constant search for satisfaction. To the bottle and a half of wine we just drank before dinner. Goodbye. Farewell. Rome.
ian

1 comment:

Amanda Purvis said...

Guys, this is so cool! And you are both making me laugh, great writers if I do say!