[Ciao]

"È la gaia pioggerella a far crescer l'erba bella."
Translation: "It's the merry drizzle that makes grass grow fine."

14.3.10

Things I Love About Italy [a series]: Pizza


I can't believe I haven't posted about my love, love, love for Italian pizza! How could I neglect my most beloved food?! Well, I suppose since I am in the Campania region, the birth place of pizza, it is only fitting that I write about this fantastic gastronomic delight now.

Pizza in Campania (a region including Naples, Capri, Salerno, and the Amalfi coast) is vastly different from American style pizza. Here, pizza is wood-fired to perfection with a soft, gooey middle and a wonderfully crispy crust. The only cheese allowed to touch a pizza is a local, traditional buffalo mozzarella, which is quite simply the best cheese you'll ever have in your life! Pizza Margherita is the traditional style served in Italy (and my favorite!), but there are many other varieties that are equally fantastic, including two more of my favorites: Quattro Fromaggi (four cheese) and Capricciosa (mushrooms, prosciutto, artichoke hearts, olives and ½ a boiled egg).


I can now leave Italy a very, very happy girl having tasted the original and historically best pizzas in the world. Thank you Italy, specifically Campania, for creating and sharing pizza with the world!

No comments: